Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers! Chicken marinated in a flavorful sweet chili sauce made with simple ingredients. Grilled with chunks of pineapple for a sweet and spicy summer time meal!
These Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers are a huge hit in our home, and I’m thinking they will probably be a hit in your home too. The combination of sweet and spicy flavors make a great marinade for tender chicken. Paired with juicy and sweet pineapple these skewers are a perfect summer meal!
Chicken Marinade Ingredients:
- pineapple juice
- soy sauce
- chili paste
- fresh ginger
- sesame oil.
You can also customize it by adding more chili paste for more spice or more honey or pineapple juice for a little more sweet depending on what you prefer.
We are going to set aside a bit of the marinade before it touches our raw chicken, though, and make a thicker dipping sauce out of it by simmering it with some cornstarch.
Tips for Grilling Chicken on Skewers:
- If using wooden skewers make sure you are soaking the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. This helps to prevent them from burning.
- Chicken breasts or thighs can be used for this recipe.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours to get the best flavor.
- Grill chicken to temperature not time. Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165℉.
More Grilling Recipes:
Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
- 1½ lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts , cut into 1 inch cubes
- ⅔ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cilantro , chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup pineapple , diced to 1 inch cubes
- green onion, diced
- cilantro, chopped
- wooden skewers
- In a small mixing bowl combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, chili paste, minced garlic, grated ginger, salt, honey, chopped cilantro, and sesame oil. Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped Chicken Breasts into a large re-sealable plastic bag, pour all but 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bag. Reserve the remaining sauce to make a dipping sauce later, store covered in fridge until needed. Place the plastic bag into the fridge to allow the chicken to marinade for at least 2 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to grilling soak about 10-15 6 inch wooden skewers in water (this will prevent them from burning).
- Add the reserved sauce (not the sauce from the chicken!) to a small saucepan and stir in the cornstarch. Bring to a simmer stirring occasionally. Once sauce is thickened remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat grill to 350-450℉.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge, place chicken and pineapple chunks onto the soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill the skewers for about 10 minutes turning every few minutes to ensure all sides are cooked. Cook until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165℉.
- Remove from the grill and serve with sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Recipe first appeared August 11, 2017. Updated on July 10, 2020 with new video and information.