This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers! Chicken marinated in a flavorful sweet chili sauce made with simple ingredients. Grilled with chunks of pineapple for a sweet and spicy summer time meal!
These Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers are a huge hit in our home, and I’m thinking they will probably be a hit in your home too. The combination of sweet and spicy flavors make a great marinade for tender chicken. Paired with juicy and sweet pineapple these skewers are a perfect summer meal!
Chicken Marinade Ingredients:
- pineapple juice
- soy sauce
- chili paste
- fresh ginger
- sesame oil.
You can also customize it by adding more chili paste for more spice or more honey or pineapple juice for a little more sweet depending on what you prefer.
We are going to set aside a bit of the marinade before it touches our raw chicken, though, and make a thicker dipping sauce out of it by simmering it with some cornstarch.
Tips for Grilling Chicken on Skewers:
- If using wooden skewers make sure you are soaking the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. This helps to prevent them from burning.
- Chicken breasts or thighs can be used for this recipe.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours to get the best flavor.
- Grill chicken to temperature not time. Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165℉.
More Grilling Recipes:
Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
- green onion diced
- cilantro chopped
- In a small mixing bowl combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, chili paste, minced garlic, grated ginger, salt, honey, chopped cilantro, and sesame oil. Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped Chicken Breasts into a large re-sealable plastic bag, pour all but 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bag. Reserve the remaining sauce to make a dipping sauce later, store covered in fridge until needed. Place the plastic bag into the fridge to allow the chicken to marinade for at least 2 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to grilling soak about 10-15 6 inch wooden skewers in water (this will prevent them from burning).
- Add the reserved sauce (not the sauce from the chicken!) to a small saucepan and stir in the cornstarch. Bring to a simmer stirring occasionally. Once sauce is thickened remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat grill to 350-450℉.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge, place chicken and pineapple chunks onto the soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill the skewers for about 10 minutes turning every few minutes to ensure all sides are cooked. Cook until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165℉.
- Remove from the grill and serve with sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
- wooden skewers
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Recipe first appeared August 11, 2017. Updated on July 10, 2020 with new video and information.
Made this last night on a stove-top grill. Very good recipe and a nice summery change to eat fruit with dinner. Used pork pieces rather than chicken (we’d had chicken the night before), and used a little hot sauce along with the dipping sauce.