This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy to make pecan cobbler has all of the rich flavors of a pecan pie that you know and love. Sweet, gooey-caramel like pecan pie filling is topped with a buttery rich, vanilla flavored cobbler topping. This is sure to become a new family favorite.
Why I Love This Pecan Cobbler
- Texture: this cobbler combines the best of crunchy pecans, gooey caramel, and a soft-crisp topped cobbler crust.
- Flavor: this fall cobbler dessert has notes of sweet brown sugar, butter, smooth vanilla, and nutty toasted pecans.
- Ease: this recipe comes together with basic ingredients and is so simple to make you will be looking for excuses to make it every season!
How to Make Pecan Cobbler
- Start with the melted butter in a baking dish. I have used a 2 quart and an 8×8 baking dish, both ceramic, and have this turn out.
- Mix together the cake ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, light brown sugar, and milk). Layer this on top of the butter. Don’t stir them together!
- Sprinkle the top with the topping ingredients (light brown sugar and chopped pecans) again, don’t stir!
- Pour the hot water on top. Don’t stir any of these layers together! This is what makes the layers develop while it bakes.
- Serve the cobbler warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Make Ahead: Prepare the batter and store it in the refrigerator, assemble and bake when needed. Or make the pecan cobbler ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Reheat as needed.
- Leftovers: Store the cobbler in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Wrap the cobbler in two layers of foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheating: Bake at 250 degrees F for 20 minutes or until warmed through.
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1½ cup water hot
- Preheat oven to 350℉ degrees.
- Pour melted butter into 8×8 baking dish, or you can use a 2 quart ceramic baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt, and light brown sugar. Stir with a fork or whisk to mix.
- Pour in milk and vanilla extract. Stir to combine
- Pour the batter over the melted butter in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients: light brown sugar and pecans. Mix with fork until combined. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the top of the cake batter.
- Pour hot water over the entire cake, make sure you are covering the entire cake evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream and enjoy!
- Storage: This cobbler should be stored in the refrigerator to stay fresher longer. To store, allow the cobbler to cool to room temperature, then cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Allow the cobbler to cool to room temperature. Wrap tightly in two layers of foil and place in the freezer. Can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove to the refrigerator overnight. To reheat, place dish on the counter for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and heat in oven for 20 minutes or until warmed through.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Recipe first published October 25, 2018. Updated October 24, 2022 with new images, video and information. Recipe is unchanged.
Photography by the talented @KJandCompany.co