20 Minute Texas Chili! This Texas style chili is bursting with meat and spice, and only takes 20 minutes to come together. And this is the ideal chili to have on a Frito Pie!! Perfect for gamedays or family dinner!
Things are getting a little Texan here today! And I’m kind of excited about it. So let me introduce you to this 20 Minute Texas Chili!
What is Texas Chili?
Texas chili, typically called Texas Red. This… is not Texas Red. BUT! It is Texas style (and I feel confident in claiming that). In that it’s main ingredient is just meat. There are no beans added. We are seasoning with chiles, but in ground up form.
A true Texas Chili takes hours. It involves actual chili peppers, chunks of meat, precision in timing of adding ingredients. There is a science to Texas Red.
Basically, this is a quick and easy Texas chili that will give you a hearty family meal when you’re pressed for time. Also in my opinion, this is the perfect chili for Frito Pie! Another Texas tradition.
This version has a little bit more heat than my go to turkey chili, but it’s still not very hot. You can always amp up the chili powder if you want a bit more heat.
What is Frito Pie?
Now the Frito Pie is another Texas tradition. They’re always for sale at the soccer fields. And everywhere else!
Typically Frito pie is a layer of Frito chips, topped with Texas chili, cheese and onion. Purists will say there is no jalapeño, but what’s the harm in adding some?
20 Minute Texas Chili
- This chili can be made in 20 minutes! Win.
- Perfect for Frito Pie. Amazing.
- Not Texas Red, but a quick and easy substitute and waaaaay better than a canned chili.
- Frito Pie typically only has cheese and onion. But I say, load it up!!!
20 Minute Texas Style Chili! This Texas style chili is bursting with meat and spice, and only takes 20 minutes to come together. And this is the ideal chili to have on a Frito Pie!! Perfect for gamedays or family dinner!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 -15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the ground beef in large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, until fully cooked, no longer pink, for about 7 minutes.
- Drain the grease. Return the pot to the stove.
- Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, and beef stock. Stir to combine.
- Add the seasonings. Cover and simmer over medium heat for the next 10 minutes.
- Serve warm!
- To make the Frito Pie layer Frito chips with the chili, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion, and any other toppings you desire!