Wow. Now that is a grilled cheese.
One of my all time favorite places to eat, In-N-Out. The sad news is, they are very limited in locations, there are not very many outside of the state of California. They are branching out more though, so maybe someday they will be everywhere! YAY!
The good news is, now that you have this recipe you can experience the taste in your own home!!
This grilled cheese is made in classic In-N-Out animal style with the grilled onions and that yummy to die for sauce. When I get my meal from In-N-Out I always get a few extra packets of that sauce. Even though my meal is already smothered and covered in cheese and sauce, I still need just a bit more of it.
I found the recipe for this sauce here from Chef in Training, she had it linked to another website, but sadly I couldn’t pull up the link anymore.
Now, my husband is going to tell you that this sandwich was his idea. I, however, am convinced this was MY idea. I honestly don’t even remember which one of us came up with it (it was me by the way) but this sandwich turned out so bomb that neither of us will humble ourselves to give credit to the other.
Now, it’s time for some honesty from me. I’m not a fan of onions (you thought I was going to say it was my husband’s idea didn’t you?). Drives my husband nuts! He loves them! So guess who I made this sandwich for? My husband. See I’m a good wife! I came up with this awesome idea and then let him eat it!
I did however sneak a bite. And I must say..it was DELICIOUS!! Even with the onions! The onions I will give the credit to the hubby for. He makes amazing grilled onions. And the recipe for those is included below!
Thanks so much for visiting! Never miss a recipe from the House Of Yumm! Choose your favorite way to follow, or do them ALL!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1/2 large chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices white bread
- 6 slices of American cheese singles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Stir all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl until they are well combined.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Add in the onion and soy sauce. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place all slices of the bread onto a heated griddle butter side down. Immediately place the cheese onto two slices of bread. Allow to cook on low heat to allow the cheese to melt and the bread to toast. Once the bread is toasted turn off the heat. Scoop half the grilled onions on top of the bread with the melted cheese. Top with the special sauce. Then place the other slices of toasted bread, toasted side up, on top to create the sandwich. Enjoy!