This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Welcome to what I would like to refer to as beginners curry. why? Would you believe me if I told you that before this recipe I had never actually tried anything curry before? So, if like me, you want to dip your toe into the culinary world of curry, let’s start with these Chicken Curry Meatballs.
Wait? Never tried curry before? Where to begin. I was laying on the couch with little baby #5 one day, taking a trip through my food packed instagram account and guess what I saw.. The Modern Proper’s Turkey Meatballs in a creamy red curry sauce. And my heart skipped a beat. I was hungry and this picture was exactly what I wanted. Even though I had no idea what it would taste like, I knew I wanted it.
So began my adventure into making the perfect Chicken Curry Meatballs. I made the recipe exactly as outlined on The Modern Proper’s site first. Then decided that I needed to change a few things up to make it how I had imagined the picture to taste. And so began a very long week involving lots of meatballs and lots of coconut milk.
One of the first things I did was lighten the entire dish up by using coconut milk instead of cream. You can even go a step further and use lite coconut milk. I got rid of all the sugar and instead opted to use honey to sweeten. I even got rid of the fish sauce, because let’s face it..I’m not hard core enough to really enjoy fish sauce at this point in my foodie life. Maybe someday. It’s a bit strong and overpowering for me at the moment. If you’re a fan though, by all means add it in!
In a matter of a week, I made these meatballs 4 times. And yes..my craving for curry meatballs has been satisfied.
Some benefits of these Chicken Curry Meatballs:
- Dairy free
- Grain free
- Refined Sugar free
- Despite all of that…SUPER flavorful! Rich, creamy, and bold.
Chicken Curry Meatballs
- In a medium size bowl combine the ground chicken and all other ingredients except for the oil. Stir to combine.
- Pour the oil into a medium size skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Scoop the meat out with a spoon and round using your palms. Carefully place the meatballs into the heated oil to cook. Cook all sides of the meatballs, but don't cook the meatballs fully through. Remove from the pan and set onto a plate.
- Pour out the oil from the pan and return to heat.
- Cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the curry paste and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the coconut milk and stir until curry paste and coconut milk are combined.
- Add in the lime juice and honey. Stir.
- Bring to a simmer and add the meatballs back into the sauce to continue cooking. Cover the pan and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm and with long grain white rice if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.