30 Minute Beer Cheese Soup. Creamy, comforting beer cheese soup. This easy dinner recipe can be done and ready to eat in 30 minutes! Perfect for a family weeknight dinner.
How to make Beer Cheese Soup:
- Cook the bacon in the dutch oven or stockpot. Take the bacon out, this will be crumbled and served on top as a garnish, or an addition to the soup. Keep the grease.
- Saute the veggies in the leftover bacon grease until the veggies are softened. Add in the garlic.
- Stir in the flour, this will create a roux and give a nice thickness to the soup.
- Pour in the broth, beer and heavy cream. Using heavy cream helps to ensure that the dairy won’t break while we simmer the soup.
- Bring this mixture to a simmer. Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, stir in the cheese, continue stirring until melted.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the paprika or hot sauce as desired.
Ingredients for Beer Cheese Soup:
- Bell Pepper
- Smoke Paprika or Hot Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
Tips for making this Beer Cheese Soup:
- Traditionally the veggies would be marinated in beer and broth, and then the veggies discarded. Making the end result a smooth and creamy soup, but with the flavorings of the veggies. If you’re wanting to get that smooth texture, you can use an immersion blender and blend up the soup, this would blend in the veggies and allow the flavor to remain.
- Add potatoes and blend for a thicker soup. Or if you want something with less carbs, you can add cauliflower and blend. Simply add the potatoes or cauliflower and let simmer in the soup until softened. Use an immersion blender to blend up and create a smooth, thick texture to the soup.
- Beer. What beer should you use for beer cheese soup? You can use whatever kind you prefer. A lot of the flavor will be going into the soup, so make sure it’s one you like. Choosing beer is a personal decision and one that I will leave to you.
Admit it. We’re here for the toppings. The beer cheese soup is cozy and indulgent on it’s own. But adding toppings can bring in all kinds of other flavors. Some options you might want to consider:
- extra cheese
- green onion
- fresh cracked pepper
More Soup Recipes:
WANT TO TRY THIS 30 MINUTE BEER CHEESE SOUP?
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
30 Minute Beer Cheese Soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) beer
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon to desired crispness. Remove the bacon and leave the grease.
- Add the celery, onion, and bell pepper. Stir while sautéing for about 5 minutes until the veggies are tender and the onion is translucent. Add in the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and stir until the vegetables are coated in the flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beer, chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir until fully combined. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium.
- Continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the sharp cheddar cheese. Stir while the cheese melts.
- Add the paprika. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup warm garnished with parsley, more shredded sharp cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon on the top.