Creamy Brussels Sprouts. Roasted Brussels sprouts baked in a creamy parmesan cheese sauce topped with bacon. Get ready to fall in love with Brussels sprouts all over again, or for the first time, with this Brussels sprouts recipe!
These Cheesy Brussels sprouts are always the star of the show. To start they are sautéed in bacon grease to get a wonderful caramelized crust on them. Then we make a homemade parmesan cream sauce. The Brussels sprouts are drenched in the sauce and baked with extra cheese and bacon crumbles. It doesn’t get any better.
How to make Creamy Brussels Sprouts:
- Clean up the Brussels sprouts: Cut the bottom off, remove the outer leaves, cut in half.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Remove the bacon and keep the grease.
- Saute the Brussels sprouts in the bacon grease. Place the Brussels sprouts cut side down to get the most caramelized flavoring. Sprinkle with salt and pepper while they’re cooking. After the Brussels sprouts have cooked, about 5 minutes and have a golden color, remove and place in a baking dish. Clean out the skillet for the next step.
- Make the parmesan cream sauce: melt butter in the large skillet, sprinkle with flour and whisk together. Will form a thick paste. Let this cook so we don’t have raw flour. Whisk in the broth and half and half. You can use a mixture of milk and cream, or just use one or the other. Season with salt and pepper. As the mixture cooks it will thicken. After simmering for several minutes and the sauce is thick. Turn the heat off and stir in the fresh grated parmesan.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the Brussels sprouts in the baking dish. Top with extra cheese and bacon crumbles.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Ingredients used to make Creamy Brussels Sprouts:
- Brussels Sprouts: to make this the best recipe, we need to use fresh Brussels sprouts. Frozen Brussels sprouts tend to take on a weird texture when thawed out. To prep the fresh Brussels sprouts simply cut the end off, and remove the outer leaves, they should easily fall off when you cut the end off. Then cut the Brussels sprouts in half.
- Homemade Cream Sauce: the cream sauce comes together with butter, half and half (or substitute with milk and/or cream), chicken broth, salt, pepper and freshly grated parmesan.
- Cheese: I like to top the Brussels sprouts with a nice melting cheese like a sharp white cheddar, can also use a guyere, or additional parmesan.
- Bacon: we will be using the bacon grease to cook the Brussels sprouts in and using the bacon as a topping.
How to store and reheat leftovers and how to prep ahead:
Store the leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator. This dish can also be prepped ahead of time. After pouring the sauce over the Brussels sprouts and topping with bacon and cheese, cover the dish and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
When ready to reheat, bake in the oven at 400 degrees covered for 10 minutes, then remove the foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Other Side Dish Recipes:
Creamy Brussels Sprouts
- 32 ounces Brussels sprouts , fresh
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, unsalted
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup additional cheese-can use parmesan, white cheddar, gruyere,
- Preheat oven to 400℉ degrees.
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by cutting off the bottom, slicing in half and removing the outer leaves.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat to desired doneness. Remove the bacon and keep the grease in the skillet.
- Keep the heat at medium and place the Brussels sprouts in the skillet in batches, cut side down, and cook for about 5 minutes until the Brussels sprouts soften and they have a golden color on the cut side.
- Remove the Brussels sprouts and add into a baking dish. Continue until all the Brussels sprouts have been sautéed.
- Rinse the skillet. Return to medium heat. Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Whisk in the broth and half and half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes while the sauce thickens.
- Remove sauce from the heat and stir in the freshly grated parmesan while it melts.
- Pour the sauce over the roasted Brussels sprouts, top with the extra cheese and crumbled cooked bacon.
- Bake at 400℉ for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy