Caramel Apple Crisp
Caramel Apple Crisp. Easy to make this caramel apple crisp is the perfect apple dessert recipe. The combination of tart apples with an irresistible brown sugar crisp topping. Top it with some ice cream for the ultimate Fall dessert.
One of the best things about fall is the abundance of apples. Incorporating fresh apples into recipes is easy and delicious. If you want more information on which apple are the best for baking, make sure you check out this post on Caramel Apple Cookies.
For this Caramel Apple Crisp I always go with Granny Smith. They are one of my favorites for cooking with. They land more on the tart side, which means that the end result isn’t overpowering in sweetness, and they have a wonderful texture when cooked, no mush.
How to Prepare the Apples to make Apple Crisp:
The base for this caramel apple crisp is the apples of course. I prepare the apples the same way I do when I make an apple pie, which is the way that my mother taught me: peel the apples, slice them thinly, and then toss them with:
- brown sugar
- pinch of salt
Let the apples sit in this mixture for just a few minutes and the juices will start to be drawn out of the apples.
Then comes the caramel drizzle. Making your own caramel is quick and easy. If you have never made your own caramel sauce, make sure you check out my How to Make A Caramel Sauce. I have step by step directions showing how easy it is to make. You can also buy a jar from the market.
How to make the Topping for a Crisp:
The crisp topping is a classic recipe that can be used for making any fruit crisp! Ingredients include:
- Flour (all purpose or a gluten free type if needed)
- Old Fashioned Oats
- Baking Powder
- Light Brown Sugar
- Pinch of salt
Cut the butter through the ingredients and the end result will be slightly clumpy. This is perfect and just what you want. Spoon that topping mixture over the apples and bake.
More Sweet Apple Recipes:
Caramel Apple Crisp
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 apples, Granny Smith works best!
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- ½ cup caramel topping
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray pie dish with baking spray, or grease with butter. Set aside.
- Peel the apples and slice into thin slices, should be about 2 cups of sliced apples. Add these to a medium size bowl. Add in the brown sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and just a pinch of salt. Set this aside.
- In another small bowl pour the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. Cut the butter into small tablespoon size pieces and add to the bowl. Using a fork, or two butter knives cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it starts to clump and look like a crumble. Pour in the oats and continue to mix with a fork.
- Spoon the apple mixture evenly into the ramekins. Be sure to include the juices that have formed! Top the apple mixture with a tablespoon of the caramel topping.
- Spoon the crisp topping on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is a golden brown. Once removed from oven allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Top with additional caramel and ice cream as desired!
- Serve immediately and enjoy
Recipe originally posted 9/3/2015 updated on 9/4/2018.