Pecan Pie Bars
So much easier than it's cousin the pie, these pecan pie bars are a laid-back version with a flaky shortbread cookie crust and your favorite pecan pie filling smothered on top!
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
Pecan Pie Topping
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temp
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups pecan halves chopped
Prepare Shortbread Cookie Crust
Preheat oven to 325, line 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper. (Be sure that the corners are folded in nicely, otherwise the topping will seep through)
Mix the melted butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium size bowl.
Add the flour and stir completely.
Press firmly into the baking dish, make sure the layer of the crust is nice and even.
Bake for 20-22 minutes until the edges are lightly browned.
Remove from oven, poke holes with a fork.
Prepare the Topping:
Preheat oven to 350.
Whisk the eggs, add maple syrup, brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and salt. Add melted butter and whisk to combine.
Add the pecans. Stir to combine until pecans are completely coated in the sugar mixture.
Pour over the cookie crust, spread into an even layer.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
Let cool to room temperature completely before cutting. Best if bars cool for 3 hours or more before slicing to allow time to set.
- Maple Syrup: use a grade A maple syrup, not a pancake style syrup.
- Pecans: it’s easiest to start with halved pecans, then give a quick chop. If you have fresh pecans you can shell them, halve them and then chop.
- Cooling: Let the bars cool completely before cutting them, this allows the filling to set up nicely and gives you a nice clean cut. If needed you can cool to room temperature and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Freezing: these bars can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, place them in the refrigerator overnight. Then remove and serve cold, or warm slightly in the microwave if desired.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 87mg | Potassium: 73mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 562IU | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg