Homemade Bubblegum Ice Cream
This homemade ice cream is bubblegum flavored and loaded with fun colorful gumballs.
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ tsp bubblegum extract OR 1 package Bubblicious pink bubblegum
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 drops of food coloring can use blue or pink, or can omit
- 1 cup small mixed color gumballs
Pour milk, cream and bubblegum extract into a medium size saucepan and bring to a simmer, where the milk is bubbling along the edges of the saucepan.
In a small bowl combine the egg yolks with the sugar, stir together. Take 1/2 cup of the warmed milk and pour in a steady stream into the eggs while whisking to prevent curdling.
Add the egg mixture to the milk in the saucepan and continue cooking over medium, while whisking, for 5-7 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
Remove mixture from heat and pour into a large bowl over ice to chill for 20 minutes, or cover and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours until chilled.
Once mixture is completely cooled, add to your ice cream mixer for churning.
Churn ice cream for about 15 minutes, add in the gumballs, continue to churn for another 5 minutes. The consistency will be soft. Place ice cream in a sealed container and freeze for about 2 hours prior to serving.
- Food Coloring: can be omitted if needed
- Gumballs: can be a choking hazard for young children, please use your discretion, these can be left out of the ice cream if needed.
- Using REAL Bubblegum instead of Bubblegum extract: Follow Instructions above, omitting the bubblegum extract and adding real bubblegum into the milk. Bring to a simmer, while whisking, continue cooking for 15-20 minutes. The gum will dissolve, there will only be small pieces of it in the mixture. Continue with instructions above.
- Simmering the gum can leave residue in the saucepan used. Use stainless steel pots to help with cleanup.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 53mg | Potassium: 143mg | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 877IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 1mg