White Chicken Chili
This white chicken chili is loaded up with chunks of juicy chicken and has a smooth mild flavor with just a hint of heat. Made in one pot and just over 30 minutes this is a perfect family friendly recipe.
Prep Time20 minutes mins
Cook Time20 minutes mins
Total Time40 minutes mins
Course: chili, main dish, Soup
Cuisine: Southwestern, Tex Mex
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½-2 lbs chicken boneless and skinless
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeds & membranes removed, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth low or no sodium
- 3 (15 ounce cans) great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 ounce can) diced green chilies
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- lime wedges
Sear Chicken: heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook for 2-3 minutes on each side to sear the chicken. Remove and set aside.
Saute Veggies: Add the onion and jalapeno to the pot and cook over medium heat until softened and the onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
Create Broth: Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Puree Beans: Blend one-third of the beans using an immersion blender or a food processor. Add the beans to the pot and stir to combine.
Season: Stir in the diced green chiles and seasonings (salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne and dried oregano).
Simmer: Add the chicken back into the pot, bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low, let cook for 15-20 minutes until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Shred Chicken: Remove the chicken, shred (or chop) and return to the chili. Let the chili cook in the chili for an additional 5 minutes. .
Serve and add toppings as desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions
Place the chicken into a 6 quart slow cooker.
Pour in the chicken broth, diced onion, minced garlic, chopped jalapeno, white beans, diced green chiles and spices.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 HOURS of HIGH for 5-6 HOURS.
Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the slow cooker. Top with cilantro and lime juice.
- Chicken: for this dinner to come together in less than 30 minutes, grab a rotisserie chicken or have some pre-cooked, shredded chicken to add in.
- Jalapeño: If needed this ingredient can be omitted. If more heat is desired can substitute with a Serrano pepper.
- Beans: Great northern beans are a wonderful choice for this chili recipe. Use canned or presoak and cook dried beans if needed. Could substitute for Cannellini beans if needed.
- Storage: store in sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat in a microwave safe dish or on the stovetop in a saucepan.
- Freezing: Allow chili to come to room temperature. Pour into a freezer safe container or bag and place in freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the chili from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 905mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 224IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg