Blue Cheese Hominy Casserole
Creamy and cheesy, this Blue Cheese Hominy Casserole is the perfect side dish!
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 (1 lb can) white hominy drained and rinsed
- white cheddar cheese shredded
- crumbled blue cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Melt Butter: In medium size saucepan melt the butter and cook the minced garlic over low heat for 30 seconds.
Make Roux: Stir in the flour until smooth. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Milk: Whisk in the milk, cook over medium heat whisking occasionally until sauce is thickened.
Cheese: Add in the cheeses and stir while the cheese melts into the sauce. Taste and adjust salt/seasonings as desired.
Pour over hominy: Add the hominy into the 2 qt baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the top. Stir so that the hominy is coated in the sauce.
Bake: Top with additional shredded white cheddar cheese, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking an additional 15 minutes until bubbly and golden on the top.
Topping: Remove from the oven and allow to cool a couple minutes, then sprinkle with additional blue cheese crumbles before serving.
- Hominy: you could use a combination of golden and white if desired.
- Storage: store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Make Ahead: prepare the casserole by following the instructions to step 6, where the sauce is poured over the hominy in the baking dish. Cover this with foil and store in the refrigerator. To bake, remove from the refrigerator while preheating the oven to 350℉. Keep covered with foil and bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 830mg | Potassium: 181mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 928IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 373mg | Iron: 1mg