This easy to make slow cooker brisket recipe is flavored with chiles, onion, garlic and herbs. This is the perfect recipe to make for brisket tacos, burritos, nachos and more!
- 3 lbs beef brisket flat cut
- 3½ cups beef broth low sodium
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 1 poblano chile de-seeded and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 stems cilantro leaves
- 2 bay leaves
Prepare Beef: Place beef brisket in crockpot with the fat side up.
Add Ingredients: Add in the chopped onion, chile, minced garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, cilantro leaves, and bay leaves. Pour in the beef broth.
Slow Cook: Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours until meat is fully cooked and easily shredded. Remove the brisket from the slow cooker and place on a tray or large plate. Shred the meat using a fork and knife, or two forks.
Save Juices: Pour the juices that the brisket was cooking in from the slow cooker into a strainer to strain out all the onions and leaves from the juice. (SAVE the juices)Skim the top of the juices to remove excess grease and then spoon a small amount, just a couple of tablespoons onto the meat.
Serve: Serve the meat inside of burritos, tacos, or enchiladas. Or enjoy low carb with some grilled vegetables.
- Poblano peppers: can add more to taste, or substitute with another chile. If you want more heat anaheim, jalapeño, or serrano peppers would all increase the heat by different amounts.
- Reserve Juices: Keep some of the juice if you will be saving some brisket to reheat later. Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.
- Storage: store leftover meat in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freezing: wrap the meat with plastic wrap or foil, then place in a plastic freezer bag or freezer safe container. Refrigerate until chilled then place in the freezer. Freeze for 2-4 months. To thaw remove meat to the refrigerator and let thaw overnight.
- Reheating Instructions: Prior to re-heating pour another couple of tablespoons of juice over the meat. This will keep it moist and prevent drying out during re-heating. To reheat place meat and juices in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 375℉ for 15 minutes or until meat is heated through.
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 896mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 103IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 5mg