Homemade Tortilla Chips
Crisp and salty homemade tortilla chips perfect for loading up with your favorite salsa or guacamole.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Total Time25 minutes mins
Cuisine: Mexican, Tex Mex
Diet: Gluten Free
- 6 corn tortillas store bought or homemade
- ⅓ cup neutral oil (avocado oil is my preference)
- salt to taste
Prepare a large baking sheet with a wire rack on top and set aside.
Slice the tortillas into 6 equal sized triangles.
Pour 1/4 inch of oil in a large frying pan. Heat over medium high heat until the oil reaches a temperature of 350 degrees F.
Working in batches add the sliced corn tortillas into the hot oil and allow to cook for 30-45 seconds then carefully turn the chips using tongs. Chips should have a nice golden crispy texture.
Continue cooking until both sides are golden and crispy, then remove from the oil and place on the wire cooling rack, then sprinkle with salt while still warm to ensure the salt sticks to the chips.
Continue this process until all tortillas are cooked. Leave a bit of time between each batch to allow the oil to come back up to temperature.
Serve with your favorite salsa, dip, or guacamole.
- Nutritional Info: only including the corn tortillas, adjust as needed with the oil that you are using.
- Corn tortillas: thicker tortillas may take longer to cook. Thinner tortillas may cook faster. The thinner tortillas will result in thinner chips.
- Oil Temperature: maintain the oil temperature to ensure crispy chips. Allow time for the oil temperature to rise back to 350 degrees F in between batches.
- Oil: use a neutral tasting, high smoke point oil. Options include: avocado, vegetable, grapeseed, and peanut.
Calories: 57kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 48mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg