Perfect Mashed Potatoes
This recipe for the Perfect Mashed Potato comes together with basic ingredients and creates a smooth, creamy, and buttery mashed potato that pairs with all your favorite dishes.
- 3 pounds potatoes russet or gold
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp salt
Peel and chop the potatoes. Potatoes should be cut to about 1 inch squares.
Place potatoes in large pot, cover with water, add the minced garlic and sprinkle in some salt.
Heat over medium high heat. Once boiling, allow the potatoes to simmer about 10-15 minutes until they are tender and easily mashed with a fork.
Strain the water out, return the potatoes to the pot, place over low heat and cook while stirring the potatoes for another 1-2 minutes to help dry the potatoes.
Mash the potatoes using your desired method.
Pour milk and butter into small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, just until the milk is warm. Do not bring to a boil.
Add the warm milk mixture to the potatoes and stir together. Stir in sour cream and salt (add more salt to taste if needed).
If potatoes are too thick you can add a bit more milk. Add in small amounts and mix in completely.
- Storage: Store the potatoes in a sealed container in the refrigerator. These potatoes can be stored in the fridge for up 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Mashed potatoes can be reheated in the oven or in a large skillet on the stovetop. Simply add a small amount of milk into the potatoes while they are heating or after armed to help get the desired consistency. They will be slightly dried out after refrigerating.
- Prep the ingredients: Peel and chop the potatoes and chill in a large bowl of ice water for up to 4 hours prior to boiling. Just make sure to keep the water cold.
- Make up to 3 days ahead of time: Follow the recipe completely. Place the mashed potatoes in a large sealed container, or store in a casserole dish covered. Potatoes can be reheated in the oven in the casserole dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes until heated through.
- Make earlier in the day: simply keep the potatoes warm in a slow cooker until ready to serve!
Serving: 1 | Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 16mg