Queso. This creamy, cheese sauce is made with REAL cheese! Enjoy the classic Tex Mex Queso at home with this easy to make recipe!
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup roma tomato diced
- 1 jalapeno* diced (seeds & membranes removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup evaporated milk
Add the shredded cheese to a medium size bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch and stir briefly to ensure all the cheese is coated with the cornstarch.
Heat the oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and jalapeno. Cook until the onion is softened and translucent.
Add in the minced garlic, diced tomato Cook briefly for 1 minute while stirring.
Add in the seasonings (oregano, cumin, salt, chili powder) stir to combine.
Stir in the evaporated milk, scrape the pan to ensure all veggies are released from the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
Add in the shredded cheese. Cook over low heat stirring while the cheese melts.
Serve immediately, while warm.
- Can substitute the jalapeño with diced green chiles or a fresh poblano pepper if desired. If using diced green chiles, add these to the skillet when adding in the tomato.
Serving: 1 | Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 874mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 889IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 671mg | Iron: 1mg