Southern Green Beans
These Southern Style Green Beans are slow simmered in a broth of bacon, onion and garlic. These beans come out tender, flavorful and melt in your mouth tender. This comforting side dish will complement all of your favorite Southern style family meals.
- 2 pounds green beans fresh
- 5 slices bacon
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- red pepper flakes as desired
Clean the green beans, cut or snap off the ends. Cut or snap the beans in half, making each piece about 2 inches long. Set aside.
In a large dutch oven, cook the bacon, then remove and crumble. Set aside.
Save the bacon drippings, and add the onion, cook until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add in the green beans and cover with chicken broth. Add salt and pepper, stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, cover with lid, then turn the heat down to low. Cook for 1-2 hours until beans are softened.
Pour into a strainer to drain out the broth. Return the beans to the pot, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, add red pepper flakes as desired. Serve with crumbled bacon on top.
- Green beans: this recipe can be made with fresh or frozen beans. Canned beans will not have the desired effect since they won't receive the flavoring during the simmer time.
- Broth: use a low or no sodium chicken broth. Using just water won't give the same flavorings to the beans.
- Storage & Freezing: store these beans in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Or to freeze, let cool to room temperature, place in a freezer safe container and freeze for 3-4 months. To thaw, remove to the refrigerator and reheat on the stovetop.
Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 755mg | Potassium: 476mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1053IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2mg