Easy Creamed Corn
This southern style Homemade Creamed Corn comes together quick and easy. Flavored with butter, onion and garlic for a flavorful side! This dish can be made with fresh, frozen or canned corn.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups corn (1 lb frozen or 8 ears fresh or 2-15 ounce cans)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup parmesan freshly grated
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a medium size saucepan over medium heat.
Melt butter. Add minced onion and cook until softened.
Meanwhile prepare the corn: If using fresh, cut the corn from the cob and using the flat part of the blade scrape the cob to get as much of the milk from the cob as possible. If using frozen, thaw the corn according to directions and drain any excess moisture. If using canned, drain the corn.
Add the garlic and corn to the saucepan. Pour in the half and half. Stir to combine. If using fresh corn allow the corn to cook about 5 minutes to soften before moving on to the next step.
Remove 1 cup of the corn and blend using a blender or food processor. Can also use an immersion blender and blend to desired consistency in the pot.
Add blended corn back to the saucepan. Bring mixture to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes until heated through.
Remove from the heat, add in the fresh grated parmesan. Stir while the parmesan melts into the corn.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make Ahead: store in a sealed container in the refrigerator and simply reheat on the stovetop, or add to a slow cooker to heat and serve.
- Variations: some ideas for additions to make this recipe your own include: jalapeños or Green Chiles, fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme, dill, chives or basil, cooked bacon crumbled and served on top, or fresh diced tomatoes on top for a fun colorful summer side.
- Storage & Freezing: store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This can also be frozen for 2-3 months. Store in a sealed freezer safe container. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stovetop when ready to serve.
Serving: 1 | Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 347mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 626IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 1mg