This white chicken chili is loaded up with chunks of juicy chicken and has a smooth mild flavor with just a hint of heat.
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1.5–2 pounds chicken, boneless and skinless
- 4 cups chicken broth (LOW or NO SODIUM)
- 3 –15 ounce cans white beans drained, and rinsed
- 11 ounces of diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side just to sear the chicken.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion and jalapeno, cook over medium heat until softened and the onion is translucent.
- Add in the minced garlic. Stir and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Blend one-third of the beans, using an immersion blender or food processor. Add the beans and the bean paste to the pot.
- Stir in the green chilies and the seasonings.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken, shred and return to the chili. Let the chicken cook in the chili another 5 minutes for additional flavor.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
How to adapt this recipe for a slow cooker:
Place the chicken into a 6 quart slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth, diced onion, minced garlic, chopped jalapeno, white beans, diced green chiles and spices. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 HOURS of HIGH for 5-6 HOURS. Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the slow cooker. Top with cilantro and lime juice.
- Category: main dish, soup, chili
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex Mex, Southwestern
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 388
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Protein: 37 g
- Cholesterol: 47 mg
Keywords: chicken chili,