A lighter version of Thick and Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup! A secret ingredient makes this soup secretly lighter, healthier and epically creamy!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth (can swap for veggie broth if needed)
- 1 cup milk (can use milk of choice, I used 2%)
- 1 head cauliflower florets
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (plus more for topping)
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for several minutes until softened. Add in the garlic and stir and let cook about 15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in the broth and milk. Stir to combine. Add the cauliflower florets and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, cover and let simmer about 10 minutes until the cauliflower is softened and easily mashed with the stirring spoon.
- Turn the heat off, remove the bay leaf, and using an immersion blender, blend the soup until the cauliflower is all pureed and no large chunks remain. (If you don’t have an immersion blender you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender or food processor to blend, then return to the pot.)
- Turn the heat back to medium heat, add the broccoli and bring soup back to a simmer. Cover and let cook another 10 minutes.
- Once the broccoli is softened and easily mashed, then again turn the heat off and using the immersion blender, blend the broccoli to desired consistency. I prefer no large chunks in my soup, and to make it nice and creamy.
- Once blended, turn the heat back to low, add the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy! Top with additional cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 210
- Sodium: 457 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg