Tex Mex Street Tacos. Marinated flank steak, grilled, sliced and stuffed into soft golden corn tortillas. Top it all off with some fresh pico de Gallo, cotija cheese, and diced onion and cilantro
- 2 lbs. Flank Steak
- ¼ cup silver tequila
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 16 corn tortillas
Toppings: Minced white onion, chopped cilantro. Optional toppings: Cojita cheese, lime wedges, pico de gallo (recipe follows)
Pico de Gallo (Yields 2 Cups)
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Place tequila, soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, jalapeño pepper, shallot and cilantro in a freezer proof zip-top bag. Add flank steak. Seal and marinate 6 hours to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to 400°F.
- Remove meat and discard marinade. Place steaks on oiled grates and grill for approximately 4-6 minutes on one side or until moisture startes to pool on the top and beef releases easily from the grates with tongs. Flip once, grilling on the other side for 4-6 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°F with meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the steak. Transfer steaks to a platter and let rest for 3 minutes before slicing against the grain, into ¼-inch thick strips.
- Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side in a dry skillet or on the grill.
- Stack 2 tortillas, add beef, toppings and lime juice if desired.
- Combine pico de gallo ingredients in mixing bowl and toss thoroughly.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 255
- Sodium: 290 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Keywords: Tex Mex street tacos, street tacos, Tex Mex tacos,