- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temperature
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons strawberry sauce or can use a strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil, spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl prepare the brownie batter. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugars and cream until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix until fully combined and mixture is smooth.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes until the brownies are mostly set.
- While the brownies are baking prepare the cheesecake mixture. In a medium size bowl beat the cream cheese until creamy.
- Add in the sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Mix on high speed until mixture is smooth and creamy, no lumps.
- Spoon the cheesecake mixture on top of the pre-cooked brownies and carefully smooth out with a rubber spatula. If you spread it too roughly you will tear up the brownies underneath.
- Once the cheesecake layer is smoothed out, spoon the strawberry sauce or jam on top. Using a butter knife gently swirl. (if using the strawberry sauce you will want to pour it through a strainer to use just the sauce portion, then add the remaining sauce back to the berries to spoon on top of finished brownies).
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for another 20 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool for about 20 minutes on the counter, then place the pan in the fridge and allow to cool for another 2-3 hours prior to cutting.
- Serve and enjoy!
Brownie Recipe adapted from Alton Brown’s cocoa brownie recipe