This flavorful sweet barbacoa recipe is slow cooked all day long leaving it tender, juicy, and full of flavor. Perfect for tacos, burritos, salads, or whatever else you can dream of to put it on.
- 5 lb roast (I use chuck roast)
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive oil or vegetable oil)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 and 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, drizzle with a small amount of oil. Sear the roast on all sides for about 1 minute each side.
- Place the seared roast into the slow cooker .
- In a medium size bowl combine the other ingredients and stir until fully combined. Pour the spice mixture over the roast in the slow cooker.
- Cook over low heat for 6-7 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred. Return to the slow cooker and stir into the remaining sauce. Let simmer on high for about 3o minutes.
- Serve immediately, or store in closed container in refrigerator.
If using pork, you may need to cook 7-8+ hours on low to get tender, easy to shred pork. Also let the meat simmer in the sauce after shredding for an additional 20-30 minutes to get more flavor.
Recipe is for a larger 5 lb roast. Can easily be divided in half to make a 2.5 lb roast. Cooking time is the same.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 22 g
Keywords: barbacoa, slow cooker,