Homemade sloppy joes. Hearty and flavorful! This homemade sauce is perfect for using as a quick weeknight meal for the family!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard (or can use dijon)
- 1 tablespoon molasses (can sub with brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- hamburger buns
Stovetop Sloppy Joes:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the bell pepper and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the ground beef. Continue cooking over medium heat. Breaking up the meat while it cooks. Cook until the meat is completely browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Once the meat is browned and the onion and peppers are tender, add in the garlic. Cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, ground mustard, molasses, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to coat the meat.
- Allow the meat to cook in the sauce for about 5 minutes. During this time prepare the hamburger buns by spreading a little butter on the insides and toasting in a skillet.
- Serve the sloppy joes warm.
Crockpot Sloppy Joes:
- Cook the ground beef, bell pepper and onion in a large skillet. Drain the grease. Add the meat mixture to a slow cooker .
- Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir to coat the meat mixture.
- Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: sloppy joes, sloppy Joe sauce, crockpot sloppy joes,