Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad. Finely chopped brussels sprouts make the best salad! Loaded up with bacon, feta, cranberries, and apples. All drizzled with a homemade bacon vinaigrette.
Sometimes I feel that salads get pushed to the side for holiday meals, or that they’re an afterthought. Everyone is super excited about the turkey, or the stuffing and mashed potatoes. But what about the salad? Am I the only one who gets excited about the salad?
Last year I made this Autumn Apple Salad for our holiday meals. This year I wanted to try something a little bit different. So we’re going with this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad, with a bacon vinaigrette of course. Because nothing goes better with brussels sprouts than bacon. The flavorings of the salad are very similar though and keeping with the theme of autumn fruits.
What exactly are shaved brussels sprouts?
They’re brussels sprouts that have been cut super thin and take on the appearance almost of a coleslaw.
How to shave brussels sprouts:
- With a food processor. There’s a slicing plate that most likely came with your processor, you can set that up in your processor, put the lid on, chop the stem off the bottom of the brussels sprouts add them to the top of the processor and press them through. The plate will slice them up and completely shred them for you.
- A mandolin. This will thinly slice the brussels sprouts. Just be careful with your fingers!
- A sharp knife. This is the method I used and just takes a little time while you slice them all up. But it doesn’t involve any fancy equipment.
This salad is sure to take center stage this holiday season. Not only because it’s beautiful, but tasty! Plus as a bonus, it’s easy to toss together too.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
- 1 pound brussels sprouts , shaved, sliced thinly
- 5 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled
- 1 apple , sliced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp bacon grease
- 2 tbsp shallot , diced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- orange, juiced
- 2 tsbp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the salad by layering the shaved brussels sprouts with the bacon, feta, dried cranberries, sliced apple.
- After cooking the bacon, keep the bacon grease in the pan. Add the shallots and cook for about 2-3 minutes until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- In a mason jar combine the ingredients for the salad dressing. Shake to combine all the ingredients. Drizzle over the salad. Toss together and serve.