Red Beans and Rice. This classic recipe is so easy to make! Bold and flavorful, this comforting meal is sure to fill you up with tender beans and spicy sausage.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces smoked andouille sausage (sliced)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans red beans
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1/8 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long grain white rice/or basmati rice
- 2 tbsp diced fresh parsley
- Prepare the rice by combining the rice with 2 cups of water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and let cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, keeping rice covered and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add in the sliced sausage and cook until the sausage starts to get some color.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, and celery. Allow this to cook for about 5-6 minutes, until the veggies are just starting to get tender.
- Add in the garlic and cajun seasoning. Stir to combine. Allow this to cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth, stir in the red beans. Add in the cayenne, ground sage, and bay leaf. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook covered for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring occasionally.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently mash the beans to help thicken.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 371
- Sodium: 1129 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 mg
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 41 mg
Keywords: red beans and rice