Mexican Rice!The best side dish for all your Tex Mex and Mexican meals! This rice is flavorful and fluffy! This is a great base recipe that you can add to and customize to make your own.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil/vegetable oil/canola oil
- 2 cups white long grain rice
- 1/2 yellow onion cut into quarters
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (caldo de pollo)
- 1 tablespoons tomato bouillon (caldo de tomate)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. Add in the onion. Cook while stirring for about 7-10 minutes, the rice will turn very white as it cooks. Continue cooking until the rice starts to toast and turn slightly golden on the edges.
- Pour in the water. Add in the chicken and tomato bouillon. Stir to combine. Keep the heat at medium. The water will sizzle when you pour it. Let the rice cook in the water until it starts to boil stirring occasionally. Once boiling, let the rice continue to cook 2-3 minutes. Then place the lid over the skillet.
- With the lid on the skillet, turn the heat to low and let the rice cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the rice from the heat, BUT KEEP THE LID ON.
- Keep the lid on for 10 minutes after removing from the heat. After this time, you can lift the lid and fluff the rice using a fork. Serve and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 136
- Sodium: 250 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: Mexican Rice, Spanish rice,