Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes.Crisp fried on the outside, soft velvety mashed potatoes on the inside! These mashed potato cakes are loaded up with cheese, jalapeño and bacon.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 green onions, diced
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine the mashed potatoes, egg and flour in a large mixing bowl. Stir to mix.
- Saute the jalapeño in a small pan over medium heat coated with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel, pat dry to remove any excess grease.
- Add in the flavor add ins to the potato mixture. The diced green onion, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, and jalapeño. Stir to combine.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop the potato mixture up and using hands, shape into a pancake shape about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and cook until the butter is melted.
- Carefully add the potato cakes to the skillet in the butter, cook for 2-3 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip the potato pancakes to cook the other side. Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the other side.
- Remove the potato cakes and place on a paper towel to help soak up any extra grease.
- Serve the potato cakes warm.
Nutrition facts is not counting all ingredients added to the mashed potatoes.
If potatoes are ultra creamy, add more flour to get a texture that holds its shape.
Recipe assumes that the mashed potatoes being used are seasoned. If potatoes are not seasoned, add salt to taste.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 79
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 79 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
Keywords: mashed potato cakes, leftover mashed potato recipes, potato pancakes