Lemon & Honey Hot Toddy
Hot Toddy. Sooth your soul and your throat with this warm whiskey drink. This cocktail is sure to warm you from the inside out. Mixed with lemon juice and honey, this drink will help combat those pesky winter colds!
What is a Hot Toddy:
A Hot Toddy is a warm cocktail made with whiskey, lemon, honey, and spices depending on your preference. Whenever I come down with a cold or have symptoms of a stuffed nose or sore throat, I love the warm comfort that comes from a Hot Toddy.
Does a Hot Toddy actually make you feel better?
It definitely doesn’t hurt! A Hot Toddy, is definitely not a cure for a common cold. But it can help to ease some of the aches and pains. The warm mixture of honey, lemon and whiskey can help to sooth your throat. It also can help you to relax while soothing some of those aches that can come along with a cold.
As always, drink responsibly and do not mix alcohol with over the counter prescriptions. If you are on medications please check with your doctor before indulging in a cocktail.
How to make a Hot Toddy:
- Heat water: heat the water on the stovetop or in the microwave. I like to start with hot water, just like if you’re making tea.
- Add honey, lemon and whiskey to glass.
- Pour the hot water into the glass.
- Stir to combine the ingredients and help the honey melt.
- Sip and relax.
Tips for making the best Hot Toddy:
- What kind of alcohol do I use? Brandy, Rum, and Whiskeys can all be used to make Hot Toddys. You want to go with something that you enjoy the flavor of. Typically when making a Hot Toddy you aren’t too concerned about alcohol content. This is more of a sipping drink to end the day with.
- What kinds of spices can I add? Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger are great additions to a hot toddy.
- How much lemon and honey do I use? This is something I would recommend playing with. I’m sharing the amounts that I prefer. But if you want your drink a bit sweeter you can add more honey. If you find it too lemon-y then next time use a bit less lemon. There’s no right or wrong amounts.
- Use a tea bag in the hot water to add more flavor: steep a tea bag in the hot water before adding it to the cocktail. This will impart some more flavors to your drink. Some options would be Black Tea or Irish Breakfast Tea. I’ve also seen Cinnamon or Clove spiced teas that would be tasty options also!
- Can I substitute the honey? Yes! You can leave out the honey if you don’t want sweetness. If you need a vegan option you could use Agave. Or you could create a simple syrup out of equal parts water and sugar. I go through the process for making this in my post for making margaritas.
More cocktail drinks you may enjoy:
Lemon & Honey Hot Toddy
- 3/4 cups hot water
- 1.5 ounces whiskey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
- Heat water on stovetop or in microwave.
- Add whiskey, honey and lemon to a mug.
- Pour hot water into the mug.
- Stir to combine ingredients and help the honey melt into the drink.
- Serve warm. Garnish with cinnamon and lemon wedge if desired.