Homemade Hot Chocolate
Homemade Hot Chocolate. Warm up with this easy to put together creamy, silky, hot chocolate. Customize with your favorite additions for a personalized treat!
Homemade Hot Chocolate. So easy to make and definitely worth it. I’m always so disappointed with the little packets of hot cocoa that are always lined up in the markets this time of year. This easy recipe will be your new go to.
It’s so simple, it’s kind of ridiculous.
To make the perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate:
- Choose your milk. You can make this with whole milk, 2%, almond milk, coconut milk, half and half, cream, a mixture of all of the above. Whatever you prefer.
- Choose your chocolate. Semi sweet, milk, dark. Even a white chocolate will work. (check out this Peppermint White Hot Chocolate recipe for a little inspiration) I find it works best to melt the chocolate and drizzle into the hot milk while on the stovetop. This helps the chocolate incorporate throughout the drink. If the milk is too cold when you pour the melted chocolate in, it will seize. No worries, it will eventually melt back down as you heat though.
- Choose any additions you may want. A drizzle of caramel. Some peppermint. Marshmallows. Peppermint whipped cream. Plain whipped cream. An extra pinch of sea salt. A combination of the above? Maybe a drizzle of caramel and the extra sea salt?
Go crazy! How about a Sea Salt Caramel Almond Milk Hot Dark Chocolate?
Yes please! I’m sure there’s more things you could add that I haven’t even listed. Once you have the basics down on how to make a homemade hot chocolate it’s so easy to play around.
And you can store this pre-made in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave if needed, or if you make too much.
WANT TO TRY THIS HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, unless making a white hot chocolate--Follow White Hot Chocolate recipe
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 ounces chocolate chopped, semi sweet or dark
- Pour the milk into a medium size sauce pan. Heat over medium heat.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between. Once melted set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cocoa powder and light brown sugar. Stir into the milk with a fork or whisk until completely combined.
- Once the milk is heated, not boiling, pour in the melted chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm in mugs with any topping of choice.