Easy Baked Apple. This simple recipe is loaded up with fresh, sweet and tart apples and a healthy dose of spices. While these apples bake they create their own spiced caramel sauce that is perfect for drizzling over the tender apple slices.
- 3 pounds apples peeled, cored, sliced (favorites include Honeycrisp, Gala, and Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the apples, cut and remove the core and cut into slices about 1/3-1/2 an inch thick.
- Add the apples to a large bowl or you can mix right in a pie dish, or 2 quart baking dish. Add the light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. If using a bowl, spoon the apples into a pie dish or 2 quart baking dish.
- Cut the butter into small squares, and place them over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring after the apples have baked for 15 minutes. This prevents apples on the top from drying. Bake until the apples are tender and soft.
- Remove and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 33 g
- Sodium: 50 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 0 g
Keywords: baked apples, fall dessert, gluten free,