Creamy White Chicken Chili. An easy to make chicken chili recipe that is loaded up with juicy, tender bites of chicken, white beans, green chiles and jalapeno. All in a flavorful, creamy broth.
I absolutely love a good chili. Especially when it involves all the flavors included in this creamy white chicken chili. The creamy, richness of the broth is the perfect balance to the jalapeno and green chiles in this dish.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI:
This recipe is quick and easy to put together, especially if you already have shredded chicken on hand. You can either shred a rotisserie chicken, or if you want to shred your own, my favorite method is to sear 2 pounds of chicken thighs, I always get boneless, skinless thighs to make it easier.
How to shred your own chicken:
- After a quick sear with salt and pepper, I fill the pan with a small amount of water, just enough to come about halfway up the chicken, and bring this to a simmer. Let the chicken cook, or poach, until they reach 165 degrees. Then remove and shred.
The rest of the chili comes together by sautéing the onion and jalapeno in a small amount of oil, adding the garlic for the last 30 seconds. Then add all the remaining ingredients minus the sour cream. Let it all cook on the stovetop for at least 30 minutes to help the flavors blend together.
How Do I Make this Creamy White Chicken Chili in the Slow Cooker?
To make this creamy white chicken chili in the slow cooker, you can skip the step of shredding your own chicken. Add the chicken and all other ingredients MINUS THE MILK, CREAM, and SOUR CREAM.
Cook the chili on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8. Remove the chicken, shred and add back to the slow cooker. Stir in the milk and cream and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in the sour cream.
What beans do you use in white chicken chili?
My favorite is to use Great Northern Beans. They have a great mild flavor, usually taking on the flavor of whatever they’re cooked in, and they hold their shape well for using in soups, stews, and chilis.
Another option would be Navy beans, these tend to become easily mashed when cooked. So if you’re looking to thicken the chili even more by mashing some beans up (which is what I do in my regular White Chicken Chili) then Navy beans are the way to go.
Some topping ideas for this Creamy White Chicken Chili:
More Chili recipes to try:
WANT TO TRY THIS WHITE CHICKEN CHILI?
PIN IT NOW!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ jalapeno chopped
- 2 cups shredded chicken, or 2 lbs chicken*
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk, of choice
- 1 cup half and half or cream
- 3 (15 ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
- 11 ounces of diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ cup sour cream
- Cook onion and jalapeno in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, once the onion is softened and translucent, add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add in the shredded chicken and the chicken broth, milk and cream of choice. Bring to a simmer.
- Drain the cans of beans and add to the pot.
- Add in the green chilies and the seasonings.
- Cover and let the pot simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, let sit for 2-3 minutes then stir in the sour cream.
- Garnish the chili with toppings such as cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos, or salsa. And enjoy!
The recipe Creamy White Chicken Chili first appeared on The Recipe Critic.