EASY Buttermilk Cornbread. This tender, lightly sweetened, cornbread is made rich and flavorful thanks to using buttermilk and a little bit of honey. Enjoy this as the perfect side dish to all your meals!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup melted butter (unsalted)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 8×8 square non stick baking dish with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cornmeal, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the melted butter (should be melted but cooled to room temperature, don’t use while still hot). Whisk with the light brown sugar until combined.
- Pour in the honey and whisk together.
- Whisk in the egg. And whisk while pouring in the buttermilk, until completely combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until completely baked in the center. Test by using a toothpick, it should come out clean once completely baked.
*If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can measure out 1 scant cup of milk (meaning 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon) stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Let sit for a couple minutes and use as buttermilk.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 294
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 48 mg