Classic Beef Stew. Melt in your mouth tender bits of beef simmered in a thick, flavorful broth. Loaded up with chunks of potatoes and carrots. This classic beef stew will warm your soul from the inside out.
- 2 pounds chuck roast (or other meat as mentioned above: brisket or short ribs)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive oil, vegetable, canola oil, or bacon fat if you have any on hand!)
- 1 cup dry red wine (Merlot, Pinot, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 3 cups no sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery sliced
- 3 yellow gold potatoes peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley- optional topping
- Cut the chuck roast into 1 inch pieces. In a medium size bowl combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the meat and stir to coat the meat completely.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven, or large pot. Add the meat in batches. Don’t over crowd the pan. Cook the meat, searing on all sides. Cook each side about 30-45 seconds. Remove the meat to a plate or cutting board once seared. Continue until all meat is seared.
- Pour the wine and beef broth into the pot, it will sizzle because the pot is still hot. Use a wooden spoon (so you don’t damage the pot) and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove all the bits from searing the meat. Once all the bits are removed you can add the meat back into the pot, along with the bay leaves and onion. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Let simmer about 40 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir the stew. At this point we can add the carrots, celery and potatoes. Continue to simmer for another 30-40 minutes. Check the meat, it will become very tender and you will be able to easily break it apart. Also check that the potatoes are tender.
- Skim any extra fat off the top of the stew. Add salt and pepper as needed to the broth to taste.
- Serve and top with fresh parsley if desired.
IF making this as a
CROCKPOT BEEF STEW:
- Treat the meat the same way, coat with flour, salt and pepper. Sear. Deglaze the pan with the wine and broth. Add the meat and the broth, with all the flavorful bits from the pot into the slow cooker . Add the bay leaves and onion.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add in the carrots, celery and potato. Continue to cook on low for another 45-60 minutes.
- Serve warm, top with fresh parsley if desired.
If you prefer not to use wine, substitute with 1 cup of beef broth.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 393 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 23 g
Keywords: beef stew, soup, beef stew crockpot, beef stew recipe, slow cooker beef stew,