Chicken Tinga. Shredded chicken simmered in a smokey chipotle, tomato sauce. Perfect for topping tostadas or for filling tacos!
- 2 pounds chicken (thighs preferred)
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 –14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine the tomato sauce, diced chipotles, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Pour over the chicken. Stir to coat the chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours until chicken is tender and shreds.
- Serve on tostadas or in tacos.
Stovetop Chicken Tinga:
- Heat a small amount of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken on each side about 3 minutes.
- Pour water or chicken broth into the pan, enough to come halfway up the chicken. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until chicken reaches 165 and easily shreds.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Shred.
- In a clean skillet, drizzle a small amount of olive oil. Saute the onion until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken sauce, chipotles, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken into the sauce. Stir to coat the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve chicken warm on tostadas or in tacos.
Onions can be diced, or sliced depending on preference.
Fresh tomatoes can be substituted for tomato sauce. Use 5-6 whole tomatoes, clean and de-seed. Blend.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 162
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 67 mg
Keywords: Chicken Tinga, Chicken Tinga recipe, slow cooker Chicken Tinga,