Chicken Pot Pie Soup. This easy to make chicken soup is creamy and comforting. Loaded up with tender chicken, lots of veggies, and fun pie crust crackers. Perfect weeknight family dinner.
- 1.5 pounds chicken shredded (or 1 rotisserie chicken)*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks cleaned and diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 small potatoes peeled and diced (I use Gold Potatoes, if using a large russet potato can just use one)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups no sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning*
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat a large dutch oven (affiliate link) or pot over medium high heat, pour in the extra virgin olive oil, then add in the onion, celery and carrot. Saute the veggies until they are softened.
- Add in the minced garlic and continue to cook for another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and milk. Add the shredded chicken, diced potatoes and seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning*).
- Allow this to come to a simmer.
- Pour the heavy cream into a measuring cup, then add the cornstarch. Whisk together until smooth. Add to the soup. Stir to combine.
- Allow the soup to simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are softened.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare and cook the pie crust crackers. Cut the pie crust into desired shapes or strips. Place on a large baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat (affiliate link) or parchment paper. Sprinkle the pie crust with just a little bit of salt. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges of the pie crust is golden. Remove and allow to cool for a couple minutes.
- Serve the soup in a bowl, top with the pie crust crackers. Serve warm.
*How to shred your own chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then sear in a hot skillet with a small amount of oil.
- Cook each side for about 1-2 minutes. Then fill the skillet with water or chicken stock, just to where the liquid comes halfway up the chicken.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let this cook for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and has an internal temperature of 165.
*Poultry seasoning is a spice mix, if you don’t have any on hand here is a quick recipe to make your own that I found on Genius Kitchen.
- 2 teaspoons ground sage.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground thyme.
- 1 teaspoon ground marjoram.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 593 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Protein: 34 g
Keywords: chicken pot pie soup, chicken pot pie soup recipe,