Chicken Fried Steak. The ultimate in southern comfort food! Tender seasoned steak, coated with a thick batter and fried until golden. Served with a cream gravy drizzled on top. Simple, basic ingredients is all that is needed to bring this recipe to life in your own kitchen!
Chicken Fried Steak
- 1.5 pounds cube steak (4 patties)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Cream Gravy
- 1/4 cup oil and drippings
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a wire rack over a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Pour oil into a large skillet, depending on the size of your skillet you may need more or less oil, pour enough to have the oil come up about 1/4 of an inch deep.
- Prepare the meat by ensuring it is tenderized, cube steak comes pre-tenderized. Season both sides of the steak with the 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper. Let the steaks sit for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk and eggs together in another bowl.
- Dip the cube steaks, one at a time, into the flour first. Press the flour into the steaks. This ensures a nice coating. Then dip into the egg mixture. Let any excess drip off. Then dip the steak back into the flour mixture.
- Check the heat of the oil by sprinkling some flour in it, the flour should sizzle. This means the oil is hot enough. Carefully place one steak at a time into the hot oil. Don’t crowd the pan, if using a large skillet you can do 2 steaks at a time, if using a small skillet only do one.
- Cook the steaks in the oil for about 5 minutes. Spoon hot oil over the tops of the steaks while they cook, this helps the batter stay while flipping. You will notice juices coming from the steaks, through the breading on the top, this means they are cooking. Once you see juices, you can flip the steaks over.
- Cook the other side of the steaks for another 5 minutes, or until both sides of the steak are golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on the wire rack. Place the baking sheet with the steaks in the oven to keep warm. Continue this until all steaks are cooked.
- To prepare the gravy, determine how much grease is left in the pan, we need 1/4 cup. You can always pour the grease into a glass measuring cup to verify that you are using 1/4 cup. Just be sure to use a slotted spoon to scoop out all the bits of steak that came off during the cooking, so this is used in the gravy also.
- With 1/4 cup of drippings in the skillet, add the flour, salt and pepper. Whisk this together. And let the flour mixture cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the milk to the flour mixture. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Let gravy simmer about 5-8 minutes until it thickens.Taste and add more salt or pepper as needed at this point.
- Serve steaks warm with gravy over top.
Nutrition information is ESTIMATED. Amount of oil needed for frying is not included since this amount can vary so much, and there’s no way to know how much oil stays on the dish to impact the nutrition information.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 686
- Sugar: 12 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 54 g
Keywords: chicken fried steak, how to make chicken fried steak, chicken fried steak recipe,