Chicken Caprese Mac and Cheese
Chicken Caprese Mac and Cheese. A quick and easy one pot creamy mac and cheese loaded with juicy chicken, fresh tomatoes and basil.
This classic creamy mac and cheese is loaded up with juicy chicken, ripe tomatoes, and fresh basil. Turning it into a Chicken Caprese Mac and Cheese. The best part? It’s all made in one pot. And that epic cheese pull? That’s thanks to the addition of mozzarella!
How Do You Make Creamy Mac and Cheese?
The trick to this mac and cheese and how it is so amazingly creamy comes from the use of evaporated milk!
Instead of going through the steps of making a roux and making a cheese sauce from there, using a combination of cornstarch with evaporated milk will give a much creamier, and thicker, end result.
This is due to the fact that most of the water is already removed from the evaporated milk. If we were to make a roux using milk or even cream the water would still cook out of those and we would have a slightly more watery mac and cheese.
How Do You Make a One Pot Mac and Cheese?
The beauty of this Chicken Caprese mac and cheese is that it is made in ONE POT! Which means we only get one pot dirty in the process. Which makes clean up so much easier.
To make this in one pot, we are going to start with cooking the chicken. Then remove it from the pan and let the chicken rest on a cutting board.
Then make the sauce in the same pan. Let the noodles cook in the sauce, which makes them even more flavorful.
At the end, load the mac and cheese back up with the cooked chicken, some tomatoes and fresh basil.
Other 30 Minute meals:
Chicken Caprese Mac and Cheese
- 1 and 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, thin cut or breast portions cut in half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- Caprese Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- Balsamic glaze, optional topping
- In a large pan pour the olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried basil. Allow to cook about 5 minutes then turn to cook the other side. Sprinkle the other side with the remaining salt, pepper and dried basil. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165℉. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook for about 30 seconds. Pour in the chicken broth. Pour evaporated milk into a measuring cup, whisk in the cornstarch. Pour into the pan with the chicken broth and stir together.
- Add in the macaroni noodles. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover and let the noodles cook stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until noodles are tender.
- Add in the cheeses and stir to mix. Add in the diced tomatoes and fresh basil. Stir.
- Slice the chicken and add back to the pan. Serve warm and enjoy.
The recipe Chicken Caprese Mac and Cheese first appeared on The Recipe Critic.