Who doesn’t love a cupcake?? If you are that person, we may not be able to be friends.. Well, I may be able to get over it. But you’ll be having to deal with me talking about cupcakes, making cupcakes, taking pictures of cupcakes, and basically shoving cupcakes into your life whether you like them or not. These Cherry Coke Float Cupcakes are a definite winner for me! Not to mention they are a winner for my husband too..and my hubs is not a fan of sweets. I know right? But even he cannot pass up a cupcake. In fact this recipe is so simple to make the cakes, he could bake these on his own! The hubs loves to cook, but I don’t believe I have seen him do any baking.
The cake is super easy, cake mix and some Cherry Coke, plus a little additional cherry extract to boost the flavor. They ‘re filled with a superb Cherry Coca-Cola reduction glaze. Whaaaat?! Yes, you heard me right. A Cherry Coca-Cola reduction glaze. Just saying that makes me feel happy. The glaze filling makes these so moist, and definitely infuses the flavor straight into the heart of the cupcake.
Top all of that off with a cherry-vanilla swirled frosting, a maraschino cherry, and all is right in the world. (If you need some help with swirling the frosting, make sure you check out my tutorial on how to do it here.) No matter how the games turn out, these will be a sure hit! And most likely, the talk of the party!
I hope you enjoy the recipe! You can follow along with me and never miss a recipe by signing up for my newsletter. Follow me on Instagram and tag #houseofyumm so I can see all the HOY recipes you make. And if you want to follow along in my everyday life on snapchat (username: houseofyumm) 💜
Enjoy the refreshing flavors of Cherry and Coca-Cola together with these Cherry Coke Float Cupcakes made with real Cherry Coca-Cola and a vanilla-cherry swirled frosting on top!
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 and 1/2 cup Cherry Coca-Cola (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced Cherry Coca-Cola
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in cupcake baking tray and set aside.
- In medium size mixing bowl add the white cake mix and the Cherry Coca-Cola. Stir until combined. Add in the cherry extract and mix.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup scoop the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for approximately 16 minutes or until fully cooked, if you insert a toothpick into the middle and pull it out it should come out clean.
- Allow to cool in the baking pan for 5 minutes then remove to continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Place 1 cup of Cherry Coca-Cola into a small pot and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes. The soda will be reduced to about 1/3 of a cup, remove from heat and allow to cool. Can place into a heat resistant container and place in the refrigerator to cool more quickly.
- Once the reduced soda is cooled you can make the filling. In a small mixing bowl combine the powdered sugar and the reduced Cherry Coca-Cola. Stir until combined. Will be a thick glaze.
- Cut out the center of the cooled cupcakes with an apple corer or a paring knife. Set the center of the cupcake aside. Drizzle the glaze into the opened center of the cupcake and then replace with the piece of cake that was removed.
- In large mixing bowl beat the butter over medium speed until creamy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and heavy cream. Continue to mix over low speed until the frosting becomes thicker, then beat over medium speed until peaks form.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls. In one bowl add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. In the other bowl add the cherry extract and some red food coloring. Stir to combine.
- To create the frosting swirl, each frosting to it’s own piping bag and then combine both piping bags together into a third with a frosting tip.
- I used a Wilton 2D tip.
More Treats to Enjoy: