Best Ever Cheese Enchiladas. This simple enchilada recipe is easy to put together, bold and authentic in taste, and sure to impress all who get to enjoy them!
- 1/4 cup oil or butter (can use canola or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups beef broth (can sub with another type) use a LOW or NO SODIUM
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup corn or vegetable oil
- 15–20-6 inch white corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup diced onion (optional)
- Sour Cream
- Heat the oil or butter in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and stir to mix. Will be a thick mixture. Allow this to cook for just 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the spices. Stir to form a thick paste.
- Stir in the broth and tomato paste. Stir until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer then reduce the heat to low. Stir occasionally. Cook about 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering assemble the enchiladas.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tortillas one at a time carefully to the oil to cook. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side, until the tortillas turn golden in color. Then remove from the oil and place on a plate, cover with a paper towel or a clean towel to retain the heat.
- Pour a small amount of the enchilada sauce into a casserole dish, spread around so the bottom of the dish is covered in sauce.
- One by one dip each tortilla into the enchilada sauce, or brush the enchilada sauce onto each tortilla, then sprinkle a small handful of monterey jack cheese onto a tortilla, sprinkle with diced onion if desired, roll it up and place in casserole dish with the seam side down. Continue until the casserole dish is full.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Sprinkle with additional cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Top with any optional toppings of choice: green onion, tomato, cilantro, sour cream.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 137
- Sodium: 226 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 12 mg
Keywords: cheese enchiladas, enchilada recipe, enchiladas,