I am an ambassador for Horizon Organic who provided me with compensation for my time. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are mine. Thanks for continuing to support the brands that support House of Yumm <3
The full force of life with kids, school and sports has hit me this last week like a cast iron skillet to the face. Slight exaggeration? Maybe. Been watching too much Tangled? Possibly. Busy and can’t seem to slow down? Definitely. Needing easy, nutritious dinner ideas for the kids. That is a for sure, and that is where this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe comes in!
Butternut Squash has easily become a favorite ingredient in my kitchen. Hello there Butternut Squash Pie from last year, I remember you and am anxiously awaiting the moment when we will meet again.
Seeing as how it’s the first day of Fall today, it only seems appropriate that we bust out the butternut squash to celebrate. Then we can dig into this Butternut Squash mac and cheese while thoughts of raking leaves and pumpkin spice dance through our heads.
This mac and cheese is everything that a good mac and cheese should be. Epically creamy and totally cheesy.
The creaminess comes from a combination of the butternut squash puree and this Horizon Organic milk.
Even though life is completely nuts right now, with babies, toddlers, new schools, junior high, sports games, and all the other activities. I know that spending a little time in the kitchen to prepare a nutritious dinner for the kids is super important. Busy times don’t mean that nutrition should be compromised. But busy mom over there.. I see you. I get you. Shoot, I am you.
Did you know that you can buy pre-cut butternut squash? I buy it in the produce section of the market. That saves SO much time. I’ve even heard tell of some stores that sell organic butternut squash puree in a can. That would save even more time if needed! At that point you would just need to stir in the puree to some broth and milk. Heat it up, add the cheese and you’re good to go.
This butternut mac and cheese is maybe even my new favorite mac and cheese recipe. It’s definitely in the top 3. (I’ve had a lot of mac and cheese in my life.) And all the kids (except for 1) loved it! But don’t trust her..she’s the child who doesn’t like noodles, or cheese on most days.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese! Creamy, cheesy and loaded up with butternut squash puree. A lighter take on a perfect Fall comfort food.
- 1 lb elbow noodles (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups broth (I used vegetable, can use any kind you prefer)
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Milk (I used 2%)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (the sharp is a nice contrast to the squash and gives a bolder flavor)
- Bring a pot of water to boil and boil the noodles until softened. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot add the olive oil, heat over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and garlic. Heat until the onion is just softened.
- Add in the butternut squash, broth, Horizon Organic Milk, and seasoning.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the squash is softened and able to be easily mashed.
- Using an immersion blender, or transferring the mixture to a blender or food processor , blend the squash mixture until it is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the cheese until melted. Add the pasta and stir to coat the noodles.
- Serve and enjoy while warm! Can add fresh herbs on top for an extra bit of flavor. Parsley, thyme, or sage are all wonderful.
If using canned butternut squash puree use the puree instead of the squash, but follow the rest of the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 466
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 437 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Protein: 17 g
Feeling the urge to cook more kid friendly comforting foods??
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.