Black Bean Soup. This hearty soup recipe is loaded up with veggies! Thick and creamy, this soup is quick and easy to put together. Instructions included for the stovetop and the slow cooker!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, no sodium, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Sour Cream
- In large sauce pot or dutch oven coat the bottom with the olive oil. Toss in the diced onion, celery, and carrots. Cook for several minutes or until the veggies are softened. Add in the garlic, ground cumin, oregano, and Chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the black beans and broth. Add in the salt and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Blend with immersion blender, food processor , or blender. Be sure if transferring liquid to blend you wait for it to cool slightly.
- Serve warm, top with any additional toppings desired. Enjoy!
**If you do not have an immersion blender, wait until the soup cools some and then use a blender to blend the soup in batches. Make sure to never blend hot liquids as they can build pressure in the blender and explode, causing severe burns.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 7 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: black bean soup, black bean soup recipe,