Baked Macaroni and Cheese. This classic recipe is creamy, cheesy, and baked to get that crispy cheese coating on the top. This dish is sure to be a highlight! Serve as an easy family dinner, or as a side dish for a holiday meal, or with BBQ!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (can use black also)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups milk (whole milk or milk of preference)
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces elbow noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add about 1 tablespoon of salt. Stir. Pour in the elbow noodles. Let cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until the noodles are just before al dente.
- Pour the noodles into a strainer in the sink, run cold water over the noodles to stop further cooking. Pour noodles back into the pot and set aside. If noodles start sticking you can drizzle a small amount of olive oil.
- In a large skillet or pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and seasonings (salt, pepper, ground mustard, garlic powder and onion powder.)
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Whisk in the milk. Continue stirring while cooking over medium heat until the mixture is thick. (5-7 minutes)
- Remove from heat and add in 2 cups of shredded cheese and the cream cheese.
- Stir while the cheeses melt.
- Add the macaroni noodles to the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour into a baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, until sauce is bubbling.
- Turn on broiler and broil the macaroni and cheese for another 2-3 minutes until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool briefly before serving.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg
Keywords: baked macaroni and cheese, baked macaroni and cheese recipe,